Thanksgiving holiday is one of the most popular holidays of the year. It marks a time when we come together and give thanks for all the blessings that life has bestowed upon us. The icing on the cake of this remarkable day is usually the thanksgiving dinner. While most people enjoy all the delicious assortment of foods that they are served, they do not know the challenges that the hosts have to go through to make the dinner a success.
The chefs suffer the heaviest brunt working tirelessly to ensure the turkey, pumpkin pie, gravy, cranberry sauce and other delicacies are cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, most of them stick to ovens when preparing these delicacies. They fail to realize the power of the pressure cookers. Instant pots can prepare all types of meals and at half the time used by ovens.
For those not familiar with what an instant pot is, it is a multi-cooker that functions as a slow cooker, pressure cooker, steamer, a sauté, warming pot and even a yogurt maker. Want to prepare the meals and still have all the time to relax before the special thanksgiving dinner, use an instant pot. Here are 4 instant pot recipes for thanksgiving.
Recipe 1: Instant Pot Turkey with Gravy
For it to be considered thanksgiving dinner, a turkey has to be involved. You need the following ingredients for this mouth-watering delicacy:
Ingredients for the turkey
- 4 lbs. of boneless turnkey breast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons of minced thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons of minced rosemary leaves
- Half a teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of ghee or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock
- Sprig of thyme and rosemary
- Chicken broth(or chicken stock if you know how to prepare)
Preparation of the turkey
- Make sure the turkey is defrosted before you begin. Use a paper towel to pat dry the turkey breast. Leave the netting on the breast, it will help you dissect the cooked turkey into thin slices.
- Put all the ingredients listed in a bowl, starting with minced garlic, paprika, minced rosemary, minced thyme, kosher salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Then, rub the spice mixture all over the turkey.
- Set to high sauté on the instant pot and add the ghee or the olive oil.
- Insert the turkey breast into the rack of instant pot. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the whole turkey breast is brown.
- Remove the turkey breast from the instant pot and place it on a plate. Add the chicken broth into the instant pot with sprigs of thyme and rosemary, followed by the turkey breast.
- Lock the lid, set the pressure to high and the time to 35 minutes.
- Remove the turkey breast and place it on a platter to cool.
Recipe 2: The Gravy
Ingredients for the gravy
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
Making the gravy
- Transfer the pot drippings to a bowl, de-grease it to remove excess fats and measure two cups of the strained drippings.
- Set medium or normal sauté on the instant pot.
- Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter into the pot and add flour. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, then add the two cups of strained drippings. Continue cooking and stirring until the gravy thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to the thickened gravy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
Remove the net from the turkey breast and slice into slim pieces. Serve it with the gravy and other great dishes.
Recipe 3: Sweet Potato Casserole
- Two and a half pounds of sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of light cream or half and half
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
Ingredients for the toppings
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon of flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons of melted butter
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and slice them into large pieces, without peeling them.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on a trivet inside the instant pot. Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the instant pot. Lock the lid, set to high pressure and the timer to 18 minutes.
- Wait for the time to end, then release pressure.
- Peel the potatoes and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Crush them with a potato masher.
- Add to the potato mash the brown sugar, light cream, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, kosher salt and the beaten egg. Mix them well with an electric mixer.
- Grease a baking dish that will fit into the instant pot and spread the potato mixture on it.
- To prepare the topping, mix the brown sugar with the butter, flour and chopped pecans. Mix them thoroughly and add the mixture on top of the potato mixture.
- Place the casserole dish in betweenan aluminum foil sling. This will act as a handle that will help you lift the casserole dish from instant pot.
- Add about a cup of water into the instant pot.
- Using the improvised aluminum foil handle, place the casserole dish on top of the trivet inside the instant pot. Then, fold the aluminum foil on top of the casserole to allow the lid to close.
- Manually set the pot to high pressure and the timer to 15 minutes.
- Lift the casserole out using the aluminum foil.
- Serve with the other thanksgiving treats.
Recipe 4: Pumpkin Pie
- 6 Pecan Sandies Cookies crushed
- 1/3 cup of chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons of butter melted
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups of solid pack pumpkin
- 1 ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ cup of evaporated milk
- Use a non-stick spray to coat a springform pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the crust in a bowl and spread the mixture in the pan, one inch away from the edges. Cool it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the filling, starting with pumpkin pie spice, sugar and salt. Add the pumpkin, beaten egg and evaporated milk.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Pour one cup of water into the instant pot and then place the trivet into the pot.
- Cover the pan with an aluminum foil and make an aluminum foil sling that will help you lift the pan from the pot. Place the pan into the trivet and fold the foil sling on top of the pan.
- Close the lid of the pot and set to high pressure and the timer to 35 minutes.
- The pot will alert you with a beep sound once the time elapses. Release the pressure for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan to cool, remove the aluminum cover and replace it with a plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and then serve with whipped cream.